The kitchen is the heart of the home. This is not only because it’s where you prepare meals for your family, but also because the kitchen has become the gathering space in recent decades. Whether it’s chatting while cooking or sitting around a table to enjoy special occasions, this room brings people together.
Making changes to your kitchen can seem intimidating at first, but I’m here to help! I have all of my recommended top tips and tricks to help you transform your kitchen into an aesthetically pleasing and functional room that you’ll love spending time in.
Ready? Let’s get started on your ultimate kitchen upgrade plan today!
The Importance of the Kitchen
The kitchen is the hub of your home. It’s where you prepare meals for your family and where you spend time with loved ones. The kitchen is the heart of the home because it’s not only a space for cooking but also a place where people come together to make memories.
It’s important to invest in the space that deserves it most – your kitchen. You want to make sure you’re happy and comfortable in there and that it makes people feel at ease.
Designing Your Kitchen
Kitchens come in a variety of styles these days, but there are a few guidelines to follow to ensure your kitchen is functional and aesthetically pleasing.
– Choose the right size: Kitchen size can be tricky to figure out, but there are a few things you should keep in mind. The National Kitchen and Bath Association recommends that your kitchen have at least 3 feet on either side of the sink for easy access when washing dishes. It’s also important to account for the amount of space you’ll need when cooking and doing prep work—leaving enough room for two people to work comfortably next to each other. You might also like having a clear view of what you’re cooking while standing at the stove.
– Go neutral: A neutral palette will make it easier to add pops of color with decor and accessories. Try using these three colors (white, black, and gray) as your base, and then add colorful accents like green or red depending on your style preferences.
– Explore layouts: There are many different ways to layout your kitchen so it has an efficient layout and looks great too. For example, consider changing the placement of where your microwave sits to get more cabinet space or remove a few cabinets to do more open shelving. The options are truly endless and as an interior designer, my team and I at Joy Meets Home can help!
Budget Planning for Your Remodel
Before you can make any kitchen renovations, it’s important to understand the budget that you have. It may be helpful to bring a pen and paper into your kitchen and list out all of the things you want to change. Once you’ve compiled this list, it’ll be easier for you to figure out what needs to stay and what can be replaced.
For example, if there are outdated appliances in your kitchen, it’s time for an upgrade!
Choosing Your Countertops
So, what do you want your countertops to be? There are many options on the market today, and they all have their pros and cons.
For instance, quartz is one of the most popular materials for countertops because it’s durable and extremely easy to maintain. However, if you’re on a tight budget, granite might be a better option for you because it’s less expensive and has a more varied color palette.
When choosing between these two materials, make sure you consider the following:
– Quartz is more durable than granite, but granite can withstand wear and tear over time.
– Quartz is more expensive than granite; however, it doesn’t require sealing or resealing.
– Granite has a wide range of colors to choose from that vary in price.
Choosing Your Flooring
Which flooring you choose for your kitchen is entirely up to you. You might want to consider the style of your home and what type of flooring it already has. For example, if the majority of your home is hardwood floors, then it’s probably best to stick with that material.
If you’re looking for a great alternative to tile (and don’t mind paying more), then I recommend going with laminates or engineered hardwoods. These options are durable and easy to clean. They also come in a variety of colors and textures so you can customize your space without breaking the bank!
The design of your kitchen is, of course, the first step. Take a look at some photos online and get a feel for what you like and don’t like. Once you’ve finalized the design, selecting the right hardware will be easy.
When choosing your hardware, you want to make sure that it matches the hardware in other rooms of your home. If you’re using silverware in another room, then continue that pattern into the kitchen. You also want to consider how much light will be coming into the room. Will there be enough light?
If not, then go with dark metal or black accents instead of shiny silver or gold accents which will reflect more light.
One of the most important aspects of your kitchen is choosing cabinets. Cabinets can be made of wood, metal, or glass. There are many different styles and designs to choose from, but you should take into account the space in your kitchen when picking cabinets.
Wooden cabinets work well for kitchens with high ceilings because they are able to span over a lot of ground. Glass cabinet doors are great for kitchens that don’t have too much space due to their sleek design. Metal cabinets are great if you want a more industrial look that ties into the modern feel of your home.
There are many considerations that go into choosing cabinets for your kitchen, but it’s worth it! Your new kitchen will provide you with years of joy and happiness.
I hope these tips help you make decisions about your beautiful new kitchen!
Your kitchen is the most important room in your home. It’s where the family gathers to cook and chat, so it needs to be a space that you can enjoy spending time in. I’m here to help you with your ultimate kitchen upgrade plan–including tips and tricks on how to design a kitchen that will make everyone feel at home when they walk in!